Wednesday 9 January 2013

Paper heart tutorial


Whoa there -  deep breaths - about to write first tutorial!
I first made these paper hearts many years ago at school. We used sugar paper in various grey type shades which we were allowed to colour with felt pens and glitter. Although I remember being incredibly proud of the lopsided article that was put on the classroom tree I think (hope) things have moved on a bit.

You will need:

  • an A4 size piece of your chosen paper (double sided for the best effect - I'm using sheet music but have also used an old map)
  • scissors
  • pencil
  • ruler
  • stapler/glue
  • small piece of ribbon / ric rac / tab of paper to use as a hanger

Mark out and cut 5 x 2cm lengthwise strips of your A4 paper.



Fold each strip exactly in half.
Leave your first strip as it is. On your second make a mark 2cm from the open edge, 4cm on your third, 6cm on your fourth and 8cm on your fifth.
Chop across through both sides of strip.



You will now have five staggered strips of folded paper - see?




Now you need to unfold the strips and layer them on top of each other, from the longest to the shortest, cut ends together.
The strips now need to be secured together. If you have time and you want a neater finish use glue and wait to dry.  If you are an impatient soul like me use a stapler and hope nobody notices!



Repeat procedure at the other end but this time place whatever you are using as a hanger across the shorter piece - like this.

This bit can be fiddly. You need to fold both ends in towards each other. Then secure ends together making sure that hanger is pointing upwards.

There it is!

String them together as a garland, hang as a mobile, give to a loved one for Valentines. 
You could makes the strips thinner or fatter and use pinking shears, hang buttons or beads, or even use felt pens and glitter! Let your imagination run wild!

If you would like to share any finished pieces I would love to see them.
Enjoy x

4 comments :

  1. Such a cute idea! I'll have to get into my paper stash now... thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I'd love to see a Miami version x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea. I can see a Christmas version in a few months time! Thank you. Chel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial. I've "pinned" it for use nearer to Valentine's Day. Welcome to blogging! I found you through Chel's blog. I am your newest follower! Come see me sometime at www.queenbcreativeme.blogspot.com Hugs, Bronwyn

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments - they are appreciated sooooo much. Thanks for making my day xxx